Assistance with family reunification through our lawyers

What does family reunification mean and how can we help?

Family reunification is an influx of family members to a person who is already in Germany in order to reunite the family or maintain family unity. Family reunification is usually possible simultaneously or subsequently, even after the birth of a foreign child in Germany.

The way in which a family can be reunited in Germany depends on the country they come from, their residence in Germany and the visa or residence title the person has in Germany. Family reunification with third-country nationals is possible if the family member already living in Germany has a residence permit, has sufficient living space and their livelihood is secured.

A distinction is made between spousal reunification, child reunification, parental reunification and the reunification of other family members.


You live abroad and would like to join your spouse in Germany?

In principle, it is possible for spouses to obtain a residence permit for the purpose of living together in marriage. A distinction must be made here as to whether the subsequent immigration is to take place with a German or a foreigner.

Spousal reunification with a German

Have you met your future partner abroad and would like to bring him or her to Germany?

There are fewer requirements to be fulfilled for a German to join his or her spouse than for a foreigner. In this context, the authorities are hastily accused of a so-called sham marriage. The prerequisite is therefore an effective marriage.

In addition, the partner joining the applicant must prove that he or she has a basic knowledge of German.

However, there are exceptions to this language requirement:

  • When joining holders of an EU Blue Card
  • for joining
    • Highly qualified persons (Section 18c (3) Residence Act),
    • Researchers (§ 18f AufenthG)
    • Self-employed persons (§ 21 AufenthG)
    • Person entitled to asylum (§ 25 para. 1 or § 26 para. 3 AufenthG) with whom you were already married in your home country before your partner went to Germany.
    • recognised refugee or person entitled to protection (§ 25 para. 2 or § 26 para. 3 AufenthG), to whom you were already married in your home country before your partner went to Germany.
    • Permanent residents from other EU states (§ 38a AufenthG)
  • if the spouses' need for integration is recognisably low (e.g. spouses with a university degree).
  • for reunification with nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand or the United States of America
  • if it is not possible or not reasonable for the spouse to make efforts to acquire simple German language skills before entering the country (hardship regulation)
  • if the spouse is unable to demonstrate a basic knowledge of the German language due to a physical, mental or psychological illness or disability.
  • You do not want to stay in Germany permanently.

What does "basic knowledge of German" mean?

Basic knowledge of German is knowledge of the German language at competence level A1 of the "Common European Framework of Reference for Languages". This includes being able to understand and use familiar, everyday expressions and very simple sentences. You should also be able to write a little in German, e.g. on forms from authorities (name, address, nationality, etc.).

The German mission abroad where you apply for the visa decides on the recognition of your language certificate on a case-by-case basis. If it is evident during your personal interview at the embassy or consulate general that you have the required basic knowledge of German, no special proof is required.

How to prove basic German language skills

You must provide proof of language skills before entering the country when applying for the visa. To do this, you must enclose a language certificate with your application documents. We will be happy to advise and support you in this.

(according to the standards of the "Association of Language Testers in Europe" (ALTE). Currently applies to the following language certificates:

  • "Start Deutsch 1" from the Goethe-Institut or telc GmbH,
  • "Grundstufe Deutsch 1" of the Austrian Language Diploma (ÖSD),
  • "TestDaF" of the TestDaF-Institut e. V.

Spousal reunification with a foreigner

Joining a foreign spouse in Germany requires further requirements. In particular, the spouse already living in Germany must be legally resident in Germany and have one of the following residence titles:

In addition, the following requirements must be met:

  • Basic German language skills,
  • As a rule, a livelihood must be secured.

The German constitution protects the family from spatial separation. Getting a visa for family reunification is not easy. We help you:

That's how it works:

Step 1


Describe your request in our contact form or make an appointment by phone.

Step 2

Initial consultation

Our experts will explain your options during an initial consultation.

Step 3

Instruct a lawyer

Our lawyer will accompany you and solve your legal problems up to family reunification.

Strong experts fight for your rights!

Lawyer Shahroch Taleqani | Law Firm RT & Partner Munich

Lawyer Shahroch Taleqani

Lawyer Julia Robl | Law firm RT & Partner Munich

Lawyer Julia Robl

Contact form

How would you like to be contacted?