How do I get a Blue Card?

Kanzlei | RT & Partner Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft- - Europe flag german lawyer rt und partner
RT & Partner | germany flag Law Firm Munich

Our lawyers will advise you comprehensively and competently.

We support you from the application to the receipt of the EU Blue Card.

The so-called Blue Card (or EU Blue Card) is a residence permit that can be issued by all European states .

Such a Blue Card allows people from third countries to work in EU countries.

Since 2012, the Blue Card has been the central residence title for academic professionals from third countries.

Who can get an EU Blue Card?

The requirements for obtaining a Blue Card are:

  1. a recognised university degree
  2. a Minimum salary threshold
  3. the Consent of the Federal Employment Agency
  4. and possibly a Professional licence

In addition, people who have a Blue Card gain further advantages:
The probability of being allowed to stay longer in Germany increases, so an unlimited settlement permit can already be applied for after a stay of 33 months.
If proof of German language skills at level B1 is provided, the unlimited settlement permit is granted after only 21 months.

A German EU Blue Card is only issued in Germany!

We support you from within Germany from the application to the receipt of the EU Blue Card.

Which university degrees are recognised?

  1. a German university degree
  2. a recognised foreign university degree
  3. a foreign university degree comparable toa German university degree

The extent to which a foreign university degree is recognised in Germany can be determined in the

Online database of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB)

be queried.


If the online database does not contain sufficient information, the applicant must apply to the ZAB for an individual, fee-based assessment of the degree and submit it to the Aliens' Registration Office.

What is the minimum salary threshold required?

The applicant must earn an annual gross salary of at least two thirds of the contribution assessment ceiling in the general pension insurance (currently € 56,800 per year / € 4,733.33 per month). 

In the following shortage occupations, a gross annual income of currently € 44,304 per year / € 3,692 per month is also sufficient:

  • Academic professionals in information and communication technology
  • Architects
  • Designer
  • Medical doctors (except dentists)
  • Engineers and engineering scientists
  • Mathematician
  • Natural scientists
  • Spatial, urban and transport planners

Why does the Federal Employment Agency have to agree?

The Federal Employment Agency must carry out a labour market check, which basically consists of the so-called priority check (checking whether German workers or workers of equal status - e.g. from EU member states - are available for the employment) and the check of the employment conditions.
However, if the gross annual income is at least €56,800, the Federal Employment Agency does not need to give its approval.

When is a licence to practise required?

If a permit is required to exercise a profession under German law (e.g. human medicine, engineering), the applicant must provide evidence of this permit or its approval before the EU Blue Card is issued.

What documents are required for the application?

  • Copy of your passport
  • Biometric passport photo
  • Copy of your original university degree
  • Copy of the English translation of your university degree
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Letter of intent or employment contract from a company in Germany (incl. detailed job description)

If relevant, please also provide these documents:

  • Copy of your spouse's passport
  • Biometric passport photo of your spouse
  • Copy of the marriage certificate
  • Translated version of the marriage certificate
  • Copy of your child's passport
  • Copy of your child's birth certificate

Here's how it works:

Step 1


Describe your request in our contact form or make an appointment by phone.

Step 2

Initial consultation

Our experts will explain your options during an initial consultation.

Step 3

Instruct a lawyer

Our lawyer will guide you and solve your legal problems until your employee starts working.

Contact form

I agree to the privacy policy.
I agree to the privacy policy.
* Mandatory fields